Sunday, January 27, 2013

Check Out Nick Pitera

Hello everybody!

I'm always on the lookout for new talent, and a few months ago I discovered somebody AMAZING on Youtube. He is a singer named Nick Pitera.

Nick Pitera is a 26 year old man based in the Bay Area of California. He works as an animator for Pixar Studios, however, I think his real talent is in his Youtube videos.

Since I am a mega-fan of Les Miserables, I was browsing Youtube one day for different versions of songs from the musical. I stumbled across a video entitled, "One Man Les Miserables Nick Pitera Medley."
 At first I thought it looked strange, but I decided to click on the clip. What I saw changed my life forever.


The video opens with the musical intro for "I Dreamed A Dream" and shows a total of nine Nick Pitera faces. The spotlight shines on the center row, far right Nick Pitera face with a caption saying "Fantine." Pitera begins singing the song, naturally altering his voice to sound like a female singer. And he does a fantastic job at it! After about a minute and a half of singing as Fantine, the music easily fades into "Who Am I?" where Pitera changes his voice to sound like Jean Valjean. It is incredible! Throughout the video, Pitera changes his voice to match the various characters in the musical such as Javert, Thenardier, Marius, Cosette, Eponine, and more. Check out the video by clicking on the link below!

Les Miserables Medley 

After watching that video a few times, I decided to check out some of his other work. I was pleased to discover that he had also done a Phantom of the Opera medley. In this video, there are only three versions of Pitera, all of whom are wearing black and white suits. Pitera plays the role of the Phantom, Raoul, and Christine. His vocal capabilities were incredibly showcased as he reached the intensely high notes of Christine. This is a must see video! But Pitera's talents don't stop there. He is also an amazing actor, which is showcased by his "One Man Disney Movie" video where he acts as a hero, heroine, sidekick, villain, and two extras for the chorus. He combines Disney songs from various movies- again in a smooth and natural style. The best part of the video is when Pitera, as the hero, sings "Go the Distance" from Hercules, then transitions to the heroine to sing "Reflection" from Mulan. Pitera then combines the two songs for an unforgettable crescendo. It takes real talent to be able to do a duet all by yourself and sound so beautiful.

Now at first, I didn't think that Pitera could alter his voice naturally. I figured he probably used some form of technology to do the altering. But I was proved wrong when I saw him perform on The Ellen Degeneres Show where he sang "A Whole New World" from Aladdin. He sang both Aladdin and Jasmine's parts, altering his voice live to match the characters. Check it out by clicking on the link below.

Nick Pitera Live on Ellen

If you like Nick Pitera as much as I do, fell free to check out his other videos on Youtube where he covers many songs. You can also buy his original single "Better Days" on iTunes. So what are you waiting for? Go buy it!

-Shadow

No comments:

Post a Comment